Happy Halloween from everyone at SERVPRO of Springfield! We hope all your costumes are amazing and your candy is sweet! But it’s also important to be safe while out candy hunting. With so many people and especially kids out and about in the dark on Halloween, accidents are at a much higher risk of happening. And no one wants their night of fun to end in disaster. Safe Kids Worldwide has a list of safety tips to keep yourself and your little ones safe this Halloween;
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Look left, right, and left again when crossing, and keep looking as you cross.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully
- Put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- If driving, slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods.
- Join kids under age 12 for trick-or-treating
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors
Halloween is one of the best nights of the year. A lot of fun costumes, delicious candy, and time to spend with family and friends. But all this fun has to be tempered by the awareness that accidents can still happen. And happen at a higher rate the later in the day it gets. So be prepared and keep your friends and family safe as well. Have a safe and happy Halloween!
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.