Don’t Fear the Thunderstorm, Prepare
With the rainy season, comes thunderstorms. Since they can happen during any season of the year, most people don’t fear them in the same way they do a tornado or a blizzard. But it’s because of their commonality that we all need to be prepared for them. A raging thunderstorm can wreak havoc on your home and, if you’re not careful, your family. Take the initiative to protect everything you love with these helpful tips from the government Ready program;
- If you hear thunder, get inside as soon as you can
- Pay attention to warnings and alerts
- Unplug electronics not protected by a surge protector
- Avoid running water if at all possible
- Secure outdoor furniture and loose tree branches
- Avoid flooded roads if driving
- Do not exit your shelter area until all storm alerts have stopped
- Call 9-1-1 if in immediate danger
Thunderstorms have the power to create hail, high winds, tornadoes, lightning strikes, and flooding all in a single storm. Any of these natural disasters could critically injure or even kill someone if the proper precautions are not upheld. So do yourself and those around you a big favor and make sure you’re prepared for the next thunderstorm. Because the next one could be right around the corner.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.