Preventing Ice Dams
Ice Dams can cause a lot of damage to your home so we would like to share some tips that may save you some damage to your home. There are three keys to preventing ice damming; insulate, ventilate, and seal air leaks. Ice damming is caused by the warm air escaping your roof, melting the snow and then it refreezing. When this happens over and over it can cause water to seep into your roof and cause damage to the inside and outside of your home.
- Make sure your attic is well insulated
- Close up attic leaks
- Add roof & soffit vents for proper ventilation
- Check insulation around sensitive areas such as skylights & dormers, wall edges as well as new additions
- Add a special adhesive ice and water barrier the next time you re-roof your home.
- If conditions are safe, rake the snow off your roof after large snowfalls that have a lot of accumulation.
- Cleaning your gutters in the fall is a great way to maintain your home, not only for Ice Dams but also for maintaining your home as well.
Please know that SERVPRO of Springfield is here for you in the unfortunate event you find water damage in your home caused by an ice dam. Our experts here at SERVPRO of Springfield are trained to dry and clean any spaces that may be affected. As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield, Sangamon, Morgan, Cass, and Montgomery Counties is always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.