Happy Labor Day from SERVPRO!
Happy Labor Day from everyone here at SERVPRO of Springfield! And a big thank you to all of the hardworking people that make our country one of the best in the world. To celebrate everyone who works hard every week, this day is meant to celebrate their contribution and give them a day off to rest and recover. Of course, even on a day off from work, it’s important that the celebration you plan is not only the best one for you, but is also safe for all involved. Safewise.com has a list of activity ideas and safety tips to help you get the most out of your Labor Day;
- If you’re planning a road trip, have your car checked by a trusted mechanic before leaving, and make sure to pack a vehicle emergency kit, plan frequent stops, and divide driving duties with others in your group
- If you choose to use fireworks be sure you take some precautions such as only lighting one at a time, never re-light a malfunctioning firework, and don’t use fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- If you plan on consuming alcohol, set a limit on how much you will consume and make sure that you have a designated driver selected who will not be drinking.
- If you decide to go boating, make sure the boat is in good condition and has all safety equipment including life preservers, and an emergency kit.
- If you’re tackling outdoor chores instead, make sure any power tool’s cord is in good condition, be sure your extensions are designed for outdoor use, and only use a ladder when there’s someone else at home.
- If you attend a picnic, barbeque, or a neighborhood pot-luck take steps to minimize the chance of cross-contamination and food-borne illness by washing your hands before and after you touch raw meat, refrigerating meat that’s waiting to hit the grill, and never leaving food that requires refrigeration (think potato salad, coleslaw, or chicken salad) out in the sun.
- If you plan to spend time out in the sun swimming, biking, or doing some other outdoor activities, make sure you have plenty of water and regularly apply sunscreen.
Everyone has a different way of taking time off from their busy work lives. But any combination of them can make your Labor Day celebration one to remember and cherish. Just remember to stay safe when having fun and to thank the hardworking men and women who make this day and this country one to love.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.