Summer dry spells are notorious for causing even those who enjoy the heat to complain. And when they go on for days on end, the complaining only gets louder. But are there more dangers when a summer scorcher comes than just the complaining? Actually, the prolonged summer heat can cause serious problems across the board. The Brain and Spine Foundation has a list of the health problems that can come from being exposed to extreme heat for too long;
- Higher temperatures can stop nerve fibers from working properly
- More easily dehydrated
- More vulnerable to heat rash or eczema
- Higher risk of heat stroke
- Sunburns become a much higher risk
- Underlying health conditions can lower your body’s tolerance to heat
- Certain medicines can cause problems when the body experiences extreme heat
Summer brings a lot of good things with it. No school for the kids, open swimming pools, ice cream, and most of the time, beautiful weather to boot. But in the heat of the summer, that beautiful weather can turn as dangerous as any storm. So it’s important to remember to take breaks and cool down when doing outdoor activities. Always have fun in the summer, just don’t overdo it.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.