Turn on the Heater, Not a Fire
The cold weather is returning again and fast. And many of us are turning our heaters and or furnaces back on if we haven’t already. After all, who wants to be freezing cold in their own home? But while not as precarious as a fireplace or a space heater, your furnace can cause a catastrophic house fire that could cost thousands of dollars to fix. So it’s crucial to make sure your furnace is as safe as it can be. Nationwide Insurance has provided a list of tips to help you make sure your furnace doesn’t heat your house into a fire;
- Inspect your furnace annually
- Don’t forget about the laundry room when inspecting for hazards
- Clean your chimney if you use it frequently
- Give your boiler a wide berth from other appliances
- Check your chimney for structural damage before winter
- Check your water heater for any problems
- If using a fireplace, use a diffusion screen to keep logs securely inside
- Be extremely careful with space heaters
The number of household fires from furnaces and other heaters during the winter months is sky high every year. And often this is just from a lack of simple maintenance on these appliances and systems. This is why it’s so important to keep your appliances well maintained and clean both during use and when they’re not in use. So take the time to make sure your appliances are clean and up to code. And don’t heat the house so much it becomes a fire.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.