Autumn is such a wonderful time of year. Many times, here in the Springfield IL area, we get to enjoy a variety of temperatures. It is often quite chilly in the morning and evening while still getting into the 70s and sometimes 80s during the daylight hours. This may create a little more laundry for us but it’s so nice to be able to get some much needed fun in the sun before it’s gone for a few months. Just don’t forget to make sure your home is ready for those upcoming winter months. October is the perfect time to mark off some of those to-do list items. I have compiled a list to help you in preparing your home for those cold cold winters.
Weatherproof your home.
Weatherproofing your home could potentially save you a lot of stress and money down the road. This type of maintenance is incredibly important to keep your home in good condition and keep you aware of issues that may not necessarily need immediate attention but will, in the future.
- Insulate any water lines that run along exterior walls so your water supply will be less likely to freeze.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Install storm or thermal-pane windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Repair roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall on your home or other structure during a storm.
Autumn is the perfect time to give our homes a little extra TLC and take inventory on jobs that need to be fixed immediately and jobs that can wait until Spring or Summer.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield is serving Sangamon, Macoupin, Morgan, Cass, and Montgomery counties and is always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.